It can be said that 2011 is a ‘very good year’!
The Selection Committee for the Golf Hall of Fame of BC has the pleasure of announcing this year’s inductees as Honoured Members. Selection to the Hall of Fame is restricted to those who have brought honour to themselves and the province through their competitive accomplishments. Both individual wins and second place finishes, as well as team accomplishments are considered. Nominations can be considered for those that have reached the age of fifty years.
In 2011 at the Induction Dinner to be held on Thursday October 27th at Capilano Golf and Country Club in West Vancouver, the following golfers will be honoured:
- Dawn Coe-Jones: twice winner of the BC Junior Women’s, BC Women’s Amateur winner in 1982 and 1983, Canadian Women’s Amateur winner1983, a member of the Commonwealth Team in 1983, a four time winner on the LPGA including the LPGA Tournament of Champions, are just some of the highlights
- Jim Rutledge: three time winner of the Victoria City Junior, BC Junior champion in 1977, Canadian Junior champion in 1977, three time winner and three times runner up of the BC Open, Canadian PGA Championship winner in 1984, three time winner on the Canadian Tour, New Zealand PGA champion in 2006, and Canadian PGA Senior champion in 2010, currently competing on the Champions Tour
- Cec Ferguson: winner of the Victoria Junior, Island Junior, Victoria City Amateur in 1973, ’74 and ‘75, winner of the BC Open as an amateur in 1976, member of the Commonwealth Team in 1975, member of three Willingdon Cup teams, winner of the Saskatchewan Open, BC PGA champion three times, BC match play winner and Canadian PGA Club Professional Championship in 1986 plus much more,
- Bob Kidd (deceased): Vancouver Parks Board champion 1953, winner of the PNGA Amateur in 1956, five time winner of the Vancouver City & District, three winner of the BC Amateur and three times runner up, and medalist in the Canadian Amateur in 1959, eight time member of the Willingdon Cup team and twice a member of the America’s Cup Team
- Walter McElroy: winner of the BC Junior in 1946, twice winner of the Vancouver City & District junior, twice winner of the Vancouver City & District Men’s Amateur, Canadian Amateur champion in 1951, seven time Willingdon Cup Team member, member of theAmerica’s Cup Team, the Commonwealth Team and the Morse Cup Team.
The Golf Hall of Fame of BC currently has 25 Honoured Members. Through a sophisticated points system created to recognize wins, second place finishes and team appearances in a wide list of events throughout North America and abroad, it honours accomplishments of those qualified by their record while BC residents.
Gala Induction Dinner
Tickets for the Gala Induction Dinner, to be held Thursday October 27 at Capilano Golf and Country Club, are available through the BC Golf House by phoning 604-222-4653 or emailing the Executive Director at [email protected]. Tickets are $125 per person or $900 for tables of eight. Payment may be made by any major credit card or by cheque. Attendance is limited to the first 128 paid reservations. Please join the golf community in honouring five more British Columbians who have distinguished themselves as being among the elite in this province’s history of great champions!
The Golf Hall of Fame was created, and is administered, by the BC Golf House Society. The Golf Hall of Fame of BC and the BC GolfMuseum are located in the restored original clubhouse of the University Golf Club, on the grounds of UBC at 10th Avenue and Blanca Street inVancouver. The building, constructed in 1929 was designed in the style of a British India cottage and houses the Museum collection, histories of BC’s greatest golfers and golf courses past and present across the province. It is independently funded, relying on financial support from the golf and business community in BC.
For further information please contactBarrie McWha, Executive Director of the BC Golf House.
– 30 –