We’ve always believed in internet marketing! It is part of how we built our company, and after business and management strategies are in place it is still how we help golf courses gain that extra edge. Here is our web page on just a few of the internet marketing systems we use.
I was recently reading an article titled “The SEO versus Social Battle Has a New Winner” by Jay Baer (a speaker we have had a chance to see live a number of years ago). The basis of the article (in my opinion) is to consider whether Social Media is still converting to website traffic in 2018 as well as it did 2 – 5 years ago.
The theory of Jay’s article (in my opinion) is that the new algorithms that most social platforms use, restrict marketing messages from reaching consumers. Jay’s key point is that Social posts that contain links are getting pushed to the bottom of your followers social streams. If this is true it means that your customers are seeing even less social organic posts from your business (even if they have liked or followed your pages).
We were interest in finding out if this was indeed the case so we decided to use our own analytics from http://ckgolf.ca to test his theory. What we found was interesting and it will make us rethink some of our internet marketing strategies going forward. But in no way did the information Jay wrote about match up with what we discovered on our website analytics in terms of traffic and how people find our site. Below are our website analytics from 2018 YTD and 2017:
- Direct Traffic (the user types your URL in their browser) = 38.5%
- Organic Traffic (the user finds your website from search – non paid) = 31.4%
- Social Media (the user finds your website from a social media link) = 27%
- Referral (the user finds your website from a link on another website) = 0.3%
2017 Full Year
- Direct Traffic (the user types your URL in their browser) = 43.6%
- Organic Traffic (the user finds your website from search – non paid) = 39.5%
- Social Media (the user finds your website from a social media link) = 18.1%
- Referral (the user finds your website from a link on another website) = 0.2%
So what does this all mean? Two things really:
- You still need to actively work on content development, updates and SEO for your website. Our website’s reach from organic (non-paid) search is leading roughly 1 in 3 visitors to our website! Those are some solid numbers in our opinion.
- Unlike Jay’s article, our social media link traffic is still relevant, leading roughly 1 in 4 visitors to our website right now. And this is up from 2017 so far. Again, pretty good numbers considering that we use a limited number of paid posts on our Social channels. Just imaging if we used paid posts more often with links in them! (We will do this and report back)
Bottom Line – You need to continue to invest in a Social Media strategy in 2018 (and likely beyond). And do your own testing on paid posts with a specific call-to-actions and a link.
The other thing that is interesting is that roughly 1 in 3 people have either book-marked our website or manually type in the address. Flattering (hopefully because of good, interesting content) but this is one area you cannot control.
Have you analyzed where your website traffic is coming from and strategized it? We can help!
We, Jeff and Tara Ciecko of CK Golf write two blogs, one is our 19th Hole Blog where we share personal experiences and the other an Industry Blog where we comment on general business and internet marketing best practices, sales strategies and give golf industry related opinions. We have owned CK Golf for 9+ years and provide business services to the golf and other industries. As of August 2016 our life and our business is ‘location independent’. Our 19th Hole Blog is about the places we visit and the things we do. If you have any questions or comments, or happen to be in the same location as us please reach out and contact us anytime.